Thursday, December 9, 2010

butter IS better!

Butter, butter, and more butter... Disgusted yet? MORE BUTTER!

If you don't know what I'm talking about yet, then I will tell you... I am highlighting the most commonly used ingredient in our Thanksgiving Feast!  It was used in the stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy, rolls, yams, and the turkey! They say that the average person would consume anywhere from 5,000 to 6,000 calories on Turkey Day, but with how much butter we used, I'd say we might've consumed more than that.  It sounds really gross but butter made the meal especially delectable.  Here is a breakdown of the feast.

The Turkey... It was stuffed with stuffing and seasoning and butter.  My in-laws know how to make the most moist, amazing turkey I have ever tasted.  Their secret... shove slices of butter between the meat of the turkey and the skin, shower the bird in butter, and baste with butter every hour while baking.  AWESOME!

The stuffing... I'm not sure what they put in that but I know there is at least bread, butter, sausage, cranberries, and celery... Whatever else is in there makes it really tasty.

I made the rolls this year... Since I wasn't with my family for thanksgiving I thought I would make it feel more familiar by introducing my new family to the fluffy goodness of Dwee's (my culinarily talented and wonderful aunt) rolls.  I don't think I have ever been more protective of anything I've baked ever.  It was my one and only task and I was determined not to mess it up because as everyone knows, rolls are a very important part of the Thanksgiving day feast.  Needless to say, they turned out better than I expected and did provide an extra umpf to the meal.

Okay... So if I haven't made you sufficiently hungry yet, then you're either crazy or anorexic or maybe I just grossed you out talking about all the butter.  Who knows? Shrug

Well, we watched the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade and watched some football.  I'll admit I'm not a huge fan of watching televised sports, but AJ's family likes it (I'm so glad AJ doesn't really care about sports... OOH Another thing I'm grateful for!) so we watched a couple games.  The Saints v. Cowboys was awesome though.  It was intense and the Saints won, so at least it was entertaining.  We consumed our dinner in a matter of maybe 15 to 20 minutes and just hung out as a family. 

The next day we went shopping in Vegas and saw..... HP7P1! Harry Potter 7 Part 1 :) and then we went out to dinner.  It was so much fun, if you haven't guessed it, I heart Harry Potter!  That Saturday we helped put away the fall decorations, put up all the Christmas lights around their yard and started putting up some Christmas decorations.  I baked some monkey bread and nearly burned down the house.  Not really, some of the butter (yes, more butter) leaked out of the bottom of the pan and started burning in the oven and this cause the smoke detectors to go off, but I didn't burn the bread! The bread turned out really good, but the oven didn't fare so well.  Then we ate, got ready, and went bowling and to another movie.  This movie was RED.  It was just a really funny shoot em up movie and I would recommend it to anyone wanting a fun way to spend a couple hours.

We drove home Sunday morning and were greeted by an incredible snow storm and a lovely traffic jam.  The traffic was fine because of all the snow.  Snow immediately puts me into a good mood, I LOVE IT!  Immediately in the Christmas mood we put our fall decorations away and broke out all the Christmas stuff, all while listening to Christmas music.  Ah, I love this time of the year.  Everything is just better.

Anyway, I hope you all had a Happy Thanksgiving and are now immersed in the magical holiday spirit!

Merry Christmas! (And I can say that because it's after Thanksgiving)

No comments:

Post a Comment