Friday, April 27, 2012

From Astros to Astronauts

Last weekend my little brother and I had the opportunity to visit my older brother and his girlfriend in his little town, maybe you've heard of it... Houston, Texas! Well it's not so little being one of the largest cities in the nation. What would a city be without at least 4 downtowns? Yes 4, it was insane! This city was as huge, flat, humid, and green as any city could be. I loved the humidity. As soon as I saw how flat, I joked that the only way the citizens of the fair Houston could go on a hike is if they maxed out the incline on a tredmill, or at least walk up all the flights of stairs in one of their very tall buildings downtown.

Some highlights:

The first night we went to Papacitos (THE BEST FOOD EVER!!!) and I tried some bacon wrapped shrimp. I've always HATED shrimp, but this was delicious and the shrimp was ginormous! Soooo good. Then we just chilled and went swimming and hot tubbing.

The next day we visited the downtown where my brother works and we went 60 stories up (only about half way) in the Chase building to enjoy the sights and extreme flatness Houtson has to offer. After we went in these cool tunnels that connect all the buildings downtown. Yes tunnels! They had everything in them too, like a dentist office, jewelry store, gift shops, and restaurants. I loved that the downtown was really clean and functional. It was sweet.  After the Chase building we went to the Galleria Mall. It was easily the biggest mall I've ever been in. Everything you could want from Prada to Buckle and all the restaurants in between and if shopping gets boring why not try ice skating. Yes, ice skating! It was an awesome mall, I think there was even a hotel attached.  Insane! I guess everything in Texas is bigger! After all the excursions we met up with my brothers friends and hit up an Astros game... The Astros is Houston's baseball team, Astros vs. Dodgers: 3-1 Dodgers won.  I always wanted to see a Dodgers game, who knew I'd have to go all the way to Houston to do it? Then it was off to Hooters for post game food and drinks (for those who drank anyway). We watched a movie with the couple Creight lived with a few months ago. Great people, seriously!

Saturday was a chill day, we hung out at Creight's house in the morning and then I had an appointment to take some budoir pictures for AJ with Creight's girlfriend Natalie. Bonding! Btw she's super sweet and we totally loved her :) Then we went to Cheesecake factory and went swimming some more and watched a movie with Creight's friends.

Sunday we went to the Johnson Space Center. Lets just say it was incredible. We saw the Saturn 5 space shuttle and it was easily 2 to 3 football fields long and 3 to 4 stories high. HUGE! It was really cool to see in person some of the space program. After the tour we went and hung out at the beach in Galveston. Yeah, I got to play in the gulf of Mexico, I was excited.  Then we ate fantastic steaks at the Saltgrass Steak house overlooking the beach and headed home. 

Monday we went to breakfast and began our journey home. It was really cute, when we were landing in Los Angeles there were a couple kids sitting behind us just amazed and asking question after question about all the mountains! Harry and I laughed because that's probably how we sounded before landing in Houston with how flat and how many trees there were. It was cute :) Plus they had the Texan accent. Awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment